Which cart type for where I am staying?
When in doubt, our staff can advise you on which communities allow standard golf carts-give us a call at 1-800-635-9559. Below info is general guide; with some exceptions and seasonal variations with speed limit changes by NCDOT. We will do our best to get you in the right cart, but we are not responsible for changes made by NCDOT, homeowners associations, and state and local government.
- Corolla: LSV carts are required.
- Whalehead: standard golf carts permitted.
- The Currituck Club: standard golf carts are permitted. LSV carts must be delivered here due to distance from our store to the Club.
- Carova, Ocean Sands, Pine Island: NO golf carts of any type are permitted.
- Duck: Please click for specific streets.
- Four Seasons: standard golf carts are permitted.
- From Flight Drive to Norbanks golf carts are permitted.
- Main Duck: Golf carts are permitted from Sandy Ridge Road East to Jaycrest
- Barrier Island Station, Sea Colony and Georgetown Sands: NO golf carts of any type are permitted.
- Port Trinitie: NO golf carts of any type are permitted.
- Southern Shores: NO golf carts rented here per OAR management.
- Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head: LSV carts required.
- North-where the beach road begins (between the highways)-carts are allowed all the way to Old Oregon Inlet Road.West side of main highway: West Eckner to Worthington – carts are allowed from First Flight Run to West Baymeadow Drive only – no further on west side.
- Colington Harbor: LSV carts required.
- Pirates Cove: Standards golf carts only.
- Colington Road, West Lake Drive, West Pond Drive, West Carolinian Circle, West Oak Knoll Drive, West side on Hwy 158 from YMCA to the other side of Jockey’s Ridge: NO golf carts of any type are permitted.
- Hatteras Island: We only rent Four Person LSVs on the Island.
- Tri-Village (Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo): Delivery is available
- Avon Village: Instore Pickup only. Customers can pick up their cart after 2PM on their scheduled reservation day.
- Buxton Village: Delivery is available to anyone staying on or off of Old Lighthouse Road.
- Frisco & Hatteras Villages: We no longer service these areas. There are other companies here we are happy to recommend.
- We no longer rent LSVs to customers staying at Campgrounds during the peak season (Labor Day thru Memorial Day).
Our staff can advise you on which communities allow standard golf carts-give us a call at 1-800-635-9559.
What are the main things I need to know about renting a LSV golf cart?
- You have much more freedom with an LSV rental.
- LSV’s (low speed vehicle golf carts) are legal on any NC public road with a speed limit under 35 mph.
- They carry a registration and license plate and must be operated by a licensed driver with insurance.
- LSV’s have additional safety features that standard golf carts do not have, for use on public roads.
- LSV golf carts CAN drive at night unlike standard golf carts which are not usable after sunset.
- They have lights, horn, & other safety features.
What are the main things I need to know about renting a standard golf cart?
- Many OBX communities allow standard golf carts in housing subdivisions (for use to getting to/from the beach, ONLY).
- Standard golf carts are NOT legal on NC12, Hwy 158 or other main roads.
- A standard golf cart is not street legal (in most places), and can be ticketed by law enforcement if used on a public road.
- Standard golf carts cannot be used after sunset.
- Remember, no motor vehicles may be used on sidewalks, or multi-purpose trails in Dare & Currituck counties.
What are the differences between standard golf carts & LSV golf carts?
A standard golf cart is not street legal in most places, and can be ticketed by law enforcement if used on a public road. Most communities allow standard golf carts in housing subdivisions (for use to getting to/from the beach, ONLY). Standard golf carts are NOT legal on NC12, Hwy 158 or other main roads. Our staff can advise you on which communities allow standard golf carts.
LSV’s are legal on any NC public road with a speed limit under 35 mph; they carry a registration and license plate and must be operated by a licensed driver with insurance. LSV’s have additional safety features that standard golf carts do not have, for on public roads.
Is there an instructional video for the LSV golf carts? (Scroll to last question on HOW to charge your rental golf cart)
Is delivery service available?
Yes, free delivery is available for weekly rentals of Standard golf carts and LSV golf carts. For advance reservations, your cart will be delivered on check-in day, before 8pm. It will be picked up (early morning) of your departure date and must be clean and fully charged to avoid an additional $50 fee.
Standard golf carts must be delivered and picked up by Ocean Atlantic Rentals, as they are not street legal on any main roads.
LSV renters can SAVE $50 when selecting CUSTOMER PICKUP & RETURN* (Customer pickup available between 2pm and 6pm of your Rental Start Date. Your OBX address must be within safe & legal driving range for customer pickup, please call if we can advise. *No delivery service or pick-up service included with cart with this option).
Is the LSV or Standard Golf Cart electric or gas powered?
They are all 100% electric powered and include a power cord to recharge the cart after each use. They use a standard outlet to plug into for recharging.
What is the speed, power of these carts?
Standard golf carts have a 48-volt power-train, with a max speed of 19mph. Standard carts will travel up to 30 miles on a single, full charge. Range will vary depending on speed, cargo, etc. We encourage you to recharge the cart whenever not in use. It should be charged every night, overnight. We require the carts to be 100% charged at the end of your rental to avoid a $75 fee. The cart has a charge level indicator on the dashboard.
The LSV is powered by an electric 48-volt power-train, with a max speed of 25mph. LSV’s will travel up to 30 miles on a single, full charge. Range will vary depending on speed, cargo, etc. We encourage you to recharge the cart whenever not in use. It should be charged every night, overnight. We require the carts to be 100% charged at the end of your rental to avoid a $75 fee. The cart has a charge level indicator on the dashboard.
What are the safety features of the Standard Golf Cart?
Headlights, taillights, and turn signals, and safety belts. All NC state driving laws apply to Standard golf carts and they are not permitted to drive on main roads.
What are the safety features of the LSV?
Headlights, taillights, and turn signals, safety belts, safety glass and mirrors. All NC state driving laws apply to LSV carts.
What are additional features of the carts?
A canopy covers the top of the cart. 4 cup-holders are built in. The onboard charger plugs into a standard outlet to recharge the batteries; the instrument panel has a warning light to warn of low battery charge. Extension power cord is provided with rental.
The ignition uses a key to operate, like a car. There is a parking brake.
What is required for the rental of a LSV?
Driver/Lessee must be 21 years of age, with a drivers’ license & proof of auto insurance (with LSV). 100% rental payment must be made to reserve a cart. A waiver must be signed for all rentals. Operational instructions are made available to you via email or anytime, by our staff.
What are your policies for renting a cart?
You must be 21 years old with valid drivers’ license to rent or operate an LSV.
You must be 18 years old with valid drivers’ license to operate a Standard Golf Cart.
We require drivers’ license number, state of issuance, and expiration date for up to three (3) drivers.
Lessee must provide proof of auto insurance policy for rental for LSV rentals.
All motor vehicle laws apply to low speed vehicles, including open-container and D.U.I ordinances. Same laws and rules as a car/auto apply to an LSV.
No sand or beach driving is permitted at anytime.
Bike trails or sidewalk driving is prohibited. Please use standard parking spaces, only.
Failure to comply with safe driving practices & OAR policies may result in termination of rental with no refund.
We are open daily at 800-635-9559 for questions.
Can the Standard golf carts or LSV’s be driven on the beach or off-road?
No, ALL CARTS must be operated on paved roadways, only. You can be ticketed for improper use of a golf cart or low speed vehicle. Failure to comply with safe driving practices & OAR policies may result in termination of rental with no refund.
Where can I park my golf cart or LSV?
Carts must be parked in designated “car/auto” parking spaces. They are subject to the same laws as cars and other motor vehicles, and can be ticketed. Some subdivision housing communities have designated golf cart parking, as well.
Can I drive golf cart or LSV on a bike trail or sidewalk?
No, LSVs must be operated on paved roadways, only. They are subject to the same laws as cars and other motor vehicles, and can be ticketed. Failure to comply with safe driving practices & OAR policies may result in termination of rental with no refund.
Standard golf carts cannot be operated on bike trails or sidewalks, only private roads in subdivisions for use going t0/from the beach.
What is my responsibility for the golf cart or LSV, while in my possession?
The responsibility is the same as a rental car, or any other rental item. The registered driver/lessee is responsible for any damage or neglect to the vehicle, while in your possession. Charges apply for any damage. A dated damage inspection report of the vehicle condition (just like a car rental) will be completed at your time of possession, and upon return.
We are open daily at 800-635-9559 for questions.
When I receive my rental golf cart, what are the next steps? How do I charge it?
- CALL LOCAL STORE LOCATION FOR KEY PLACEMENT.
- PLUG IN AC (BLACK) CORED INTO GCFI (WITH BUILT IN CIRCUIT BREAKER) OUTLET / USE 1 EXTENSION CORD PROVIDED WITH CART IF NECESSARY. DO NOT USE A DAMAGED OUTLET UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
- ENSURE BLUE LED LIGHT (ROUND LED LIGHT) IS ACTIVE ON THE CHARGER.
- PLUG IN DC (YELLOW) CORD TO THE RECEPTACLE LOCATED UNDERNEATH THE F n R SWITCH (NEAR DRIVER’S RIGHT KNEE). ENSURE CORD IS FULLY INSERTED WITH OFFSET PORTION IN THE CORRECT POSITION.
- VIEW THE LED LIGHTS ON THE CHARGER AND ENSURE GREEN LIGHTS (SQUARE LED LIGHTS) ABOVE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED BLUE LED ARE ACTIVE / PULSING.
- LARGE GREEN LED WILL GO SOLID WHEN 80% CHARGED, SMALLER GREEN LED LIGHT WILL THEN BEGIN PULSING. ALL LIGHTS WILL BE SOLID WHEN FULLY CHARGED.
- ENSURE ALL CORDS ARE SECURE INSIDE THE REAR SECTION OF THE CART BEFORE OPERATING VEHICLE, IF ANY CORDS ARE DAMAGED IMMEDIATELY CONTACT THE STORE.
- DO NOT CHARGE CART UNDERNEATH A HOME OR INSIDE OF A GARAGE, ALLOW FOR MAXIMUM VENTILATION!!!
- READ OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS ON STEERING WHEEL.
- CALL LOCAL STORE LOCATION IMMEDIATELY WITH ANY CHARGING OR OPERATING CONCERNS.