NEW This Season
We’re carrying electric bikes in each of our stores for half-day ($45), full-day ($65) and 5-day rentals. We did a lot of research during the off season (twist our arm in test driving a bunch of electric bikes) and we decided on the brand RAD Power Bikes. These electric bikes are tough enough to withstand our Outer Banks conditions and even the toughest of renters.
All of our customers that have rented our electric bikes have had a great time and enjoyed the adventures that maybe they couldn’t have achieved on a regular bike.
Electric Bike Tips
Here’s how an electric bike can provide solutions to a few vacation dilemmas this season:
- It’s a Bit Too Far: Riders can go up to 25+ miles on a single battery charge making OBX cruising and destinations attainable that would normally be just out of reach for a recreational cyclist.
- I’m Not an Avid Cyclist or Have Physical Limitations: Injuries, physical limitations and health concerns won’t keep you from using an electric bike like most bicycles would. Many that have tried and loved our electric bikes have admitted to balance issues or not having ridden a bike in years (or decades). We feature a step thru model for those who can’t mount the RADCity version. The full throttle or pedal assist options provide relief for those that have to minimize physical exertion due to breathing problems or are limited in their physical activity.
- We Don’t Want to Fight Traffic in the Car and There’s Normally No Parking: With designated bike paths and plenty of bike parking using an electric bike is a great way to get around on your vacation.
- It’s Too Hot: With an electric bike you have the option to pedal as little as you want. The motor can assist you as little or as much as you want (keeping you from breaking a sweat and letting you enjoy the breeze).
- Bicycles Can Be Uncomfortable: Our cushioned seat, leather wrapped handlebars and adjustable seat takes our bikes to the next level of comfort.
- It’s Not a Good Beach Day: On those days where the rip currents are high or the ocean is too cold or too rough, it provides a great opportunity for an electric bike excursion. Our electric bikes are first come, first serve and available for half and full day fun! Ask our staff for some great bike paths or sites you can visit on your electric bike-they’ll have plenty of suggestions! Check out these tips if you’re looking to bike on the OBX, or visit our blog page for other suggestions for activities for the whole family!
Be sure to follow the rules of the road with state bicycle laws and procedures.
Important to note, please keep the electric bikes on paved surfaces only. Beach riding is not allowed with our electric bikes and could cost you extra for any damage that occurs. Night riding is allowed and our electric bikes have safety features to include a headlight, flashing taillight, and bell for safety. All riders must be at least 16 years old and be accompanied by an adult. A helmet and lock are provided and a signed waiver is required.